Thursday, April 21, 2011

New Opportunities, New Ideas

No pictures today, just some brainstorming and thought swirling lately.

I've known for a while that Knitters and Crocheters were spending a lot of time on Ravelry, and I created an account several years ago but didn't really know how I planned to use it. In recent months as I get more and more familiar with some of the etsy crafters out there, I've started to notice mentions of various Ravelry communities, discussion boards, forums, swaps, and giveaways. Various bloggers promote their communities, and new friendships are formed. So I've dipped my toe into the waters, and plan to be more involved with the crafting community, as it exists in some of these projects, craft-alongs, and special events. I'm likely to make a few friends along the way, and if some of my networking turns into sales ideas or customers, that will be just incidental. I'm looking forward to being part of these supportive communities.

I was invited to place some of my crafts on a commission in a crafting booth at the end of May. I've got some very specific ideas of what to make for this event. This morning on my way to work, I was daydreaming about some of the components and supplies I might need. It dawned on me that I could *make* some of the components from balsa wood and/or fimo clay. I'm really excited about solving craft plans as I just sip coffee and navigate traffic.

I was also contacted about photos of some of my yarns. One friend of mine, deeply embedded in the crafting community herself, met another dollmaker who is frustrated with commercial yarns. I sent along some photo links, and I was really grateful that I'd been logging my photos each step along the way. I had quite a few to draw from, and we'll see if maybe this results in another contact or not. But for my own purposes, it was a very good thing to be able to survey my photo website, and put together a nice portfolio set of links for someone. I'm feeling very good about my progress.

Oh! Okay, maybe I was wrong -- I have a completely different progress photo that I'm proud of this morning. So you get one photo after all. Enjoy.
Apparently all my hard work is starting to show. ♥
Full image: http://www.cayswann.com/v/Friends/2011/dancing/progress.jpg.html

No comments:

Post a Comment